Cenovus and Husky transaction
On January 1, 2021 Cenovus Energy acquired Husky Energy. The combined company is the third largest Canadian oil and natural gas producer and the second largest Canadian-based refiner and upgrader.
The company will operate as Cenovus Energy and remain headquartered in Calgary, Alberta. Operations include oil sands projects in northern Alberta, thermal and conventional crude oil and natural gas projects across Western Canada, crude oil production offshore Newfoundland and Labrador and natural gas and liquids production offshore China and Indonesia. Downstream operations include upgrading, refining and marketing operations in Canada and the Unites States.
Please review the information on this page regularly to stay up to date on the transaction.
“We will be a leaner, stronger and more integrated company, exceptionally well-suited to weather the current environment and be a strong Canadian energy leader in the years ahead. The diverse portfolio will enable us to deliver stable cash flow through price cycles, while focusing capital on the highest-return assets and opportunities. The combined company will also have an efficient cost structure and ample liquidity. All of this supports strong credit metrics, accelerated deleveraging and an enhanced ability for return of capital to shareholders.”
President & Chief Executive Officer
- January 4, 2021 – Cenovus closes transaction to combine with Husky
- December 21, 2020 – Strategic combination plan receives all key regulatory approvals
- December 16, 2020 – Cenovus and Husky announce Court of Queen’s Bench approval of proposed business combination
- December 15, 2020 – Cenovus and Husky shareholders approve proposed business combination
- November 20, 2020 – Cenovus and Husky announce leadership team for combined company
- November 16, 2020 – Cenovus and Husky to hold special shareholder meetings on proposed Plan of Arrangement
- October 25, 2020 – Cenovus and Husky hold joint conference call and webcast on transaction