Aboriginal Scholarship program
Each year, we offer scholarships for Aboriginal students residing in our operating areas who are pursuing a full-time degree, diploma or certified trade. These scholarships are valued at $3,500 and are renewable for up to four years, or to the completion of your first degree. We’re now accepting applications for 2018-19.
Our Aboriginal Scholarship program is designed to:
- Encourage Aboriginal students to pursue and complete post-secondary education
- Increase the number of Aboriginal professionals and role models in communities where we operate
- Further the potential for local employment in the oil and gas industry
At Cenovus, we embrace the opportunity to contribute to the strength and sustainability of the communities where we work and live. We believe that investing in education creates a strong foundation for a bright future.
How to apply
Applications can be submitted online* at https://scholarships.hrbenefits.ca between June 1 and September 30, 2018. You will need to create a user account using your email address and click on the activation link that you will receive by email shortly after creating your account. You will complete the eligibility questionnaire using the code for the Cenovus Aboriginal Scholarship Program. Application Code: CASP
*Please note, that the online link is administered by HR Benefits Consulting on behalf of Cenovus.
The deadline to submit your application is September 30, 2018.
- Applicant must be a resident of Alberta and residing within proximity of a Cenovus operating area
- Applicant must provide proof of Aboriginal status
- Applicant must be enrolled at an accredited post-secondary institution, in a full time program leading to a recognized degree, diploma or certified trade
- Applicant package must be complete and received prior to deadline
- Community involvement
- Career goals
- Academic achievement
- Financial need
- Program of study
The following information is required to complete your application. Please be sure to begin your application early to allow time to complete all of the required information
- Complete the online application form
- Current resume listing your volunteer, employment and educational history. Your resume will be used as part of your scholarship application and may be shared with the Cenovus recruitment department for potential employment opportunities. Your resume can be uploaded as a pdf or word document to the application site.
- Confirmation of full-time enrollment or registration in your study program: You will need to upload a pdf of your full-time enrollment confirmation, including the name of your program, dates of study and confirming your full-time registration.
- Confirmation of First Nation or Métis status: You will need to upload a pdf copy of the front and back of your valid band/treaty card, or valid Métis membership card. An official letter from a Métis local board or First Nation band council will also be accepted.
- Budget information/financial planning worksheet providing an accurate picture of your expenses and resources available throughout your study period will need to be completed online. You will need to provide detailed information regarding any other funding you are receiving or plan to apply for.
The following questions are included as part of the application form. You can prepare your responses in advance and then cut and paste from a word document into the application, or simply type your responses into the online form. All responses should be limited to 500 words or less.
- Tell us about your involvement with the community including how your involvement has made a positive impact or contribution to your community. Please include details such as how long you've been involved and describe your personal contribution to events or activities.
- Describe your career goals, including how your program of study will assist you, what type of work you will pursue, and how you might give back to your community upon completion of your program.
- Provide any other information about you or how this scholarship will assist you in the pursuit of your goals.
Once you have completed the application form online, and uploaded the required documents into the application system, you will "submit" your application into the online system. You will receive an email confirmation that your application was submitted. The program administrators will review the application and supporting documentation, and will provide an application status update and information on next steps, within 2-3 weeks of the application being submitted. Applicants will be advised of their application status by mid-November. Awards to selected applicants will be issued by mid-December.
- Applications can be submitted from June 1 up until 11:59 p.m. MT September 30. Late applications will not be considered.
- You will need to "create an account" in the system using your unique email address. Only one application can be submitted using your email address.
- To ensure the security of the system and your personal information please create a unique and strong password when creating your account. Do not share your account log-on information.
- The online application system allows you to begin the application process and save completed portions of the application form, so you don't have to complete the application in one sitting. Please do not submit incomplete applications, they will be returned in the system as incomplete.
- You will need to upload a PDF copy of your Confirmation of Full-Time Enrolment, Aboriginal or Metis Status verification and a current Resume. Each document must be uploaded as a separate and single PDF.
- You may compose your answers to the detailed application questions in Word and then copy and paste into the application form, or, you may type your responses directly into the form. You may "save" your responses and return to complete at another time.
- You will also need to provide an accurate financial statement outlining your current expenses & resources by completing the form online as part of the application package. Please be sure to contact the scholarship administrators if your financial situation changes after you have submitted your scholarship application.
- Please do not email, mail or fax copies of prior application forms, transcripts or other documentation required to complete the Cenovus Aboriginal Scholarship Program application. Only applications received through the online system will be accepted.
- All award applications will be reviewed in full and applicants will be notified of their application status by November 15. Please contact the award administrator if you have not heard back on the status of your application by that time.
- Award payments will be issued to the successful recipients by mid-December. A T4A tax slip will be issued the following year.
If you have previously received the Cenovus Aboriginal Scholarship and would like to apply to renew your application:
- You will need to create an account online at https://scholarships.hrbenefits.ca and click on the activation link in the email you receive. Complete the eligibility quiz using the application code: CASP
- Complete the online application form and indicate you are a "renewal" applicant. The application form will be available online commencing June 1. Applications can be submitted from June 1 up until 11:59 p.m. MT September 30. Late applications will not be considered.
- You will need to upload a pdf of your transcript of grades from your prior award year and a confirmation of full-time enrolment for the coming academic year. Please be sure your transcript includes your complete and final grades.
- You will need to upload an updated/current resume each year you apply.
For additional information or questions please see https://Scholarships.HRBenefits.ca, Application Code: CASP, or contact HR Benefits Consulting at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us in Calgary 403-543-1150 or toll free at 1-800-837-1390.