Cenovus takes action on COVID-19
March 20, 2020 - At Cenovus, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. We have dedicated teams that have been working for many weeks on proactive measures to prevent COVID-19 from significantly impacting our workers and our business. We have been in constant contact with public health officials and are getting the latest information and recommendations directly from them about how to respond to COVID-19.
Out of an abundance of caution, we’ve taken a number of preventive steps to protect the health of our staff and the continuity of our business. While our offices will remain open, office staff who are able to do so have been directed to work from home, effective March 17. We are also working to reduce the number of non-critical staff at our oil sands field operations by having some staff work from home. Over the past couple of years, Cenovus has introduced technology upgrades across its business to enable a highly-productive mobile workforce.
We are confident that we are adhering to all directives to keep our workplaces healthy and safe, whether in Calgary or the field. We are asking staff to follow government guidelines about social distancing measures and health protection practices to reduce social interaction and help prevent the potential spread of COVID-19.
Other preventive measures Cenovus has taken include:
- Establishing mandatory self-quarantine requirements for:
- Prior to March 12, 2020 – anyone who travelled to a country designated as a COVID-19 hotspot
- As of March 12, 2020 – anyone who has travelled outside of Canada (as per Government of Canada recommendations)
- Anyone who has reason to believe they’ve been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19
- Restricting business travel, including non-essential travel to our field sites
- Implementing enhanced cleaning and sanitation measures at all of our locations
We believe we are well positioned to remain financially resilient and to maintain the safe and reliable operation of our business through this current market downturn and COVID-19 pandemic. We will continue to monitor the situation and take further steps to respond, as required.