Our eight safety commitments call out the attitude and behaviour we expect to see from anyone who works with us and for us. The eight commitments were created after a fatality incident in 2007 at our Foster Creek operations.
After an incident review, we wanted to reinforce our commitment to our workers, as well as their commitment while working for us.
The safety commitments empower workers to speak up if they feel the work they’re asked to do is unsafe. The commitments are a promise from every leader at Cenovus to every worker at any level of the company that we value safety above all else. Our commitment to workers and their families is that they return home safely every day. Working at Cenovus really does mean working safely.
- Our work is never so urgent or important that we cannot take time to do it safely
- All injuries are preventable
- Everyone is obligated to refuse unsafe work
- Everyone is obligated to raise concerns about the hazards seen
- All levels of supervision are accountable for safety performance
- Employee and contractor commitment is essential to safety performance
- Excellence in safety leads to excellence in business
- Safety attitude off the job is as important as on the job
View our safety commitments poster