The work performed in our business involves risk. That's why it's critical that we keep safety as a first thought in everything we do. The actions we take and the decisions we make every day help us to manage risk and protect our people. We want our workers to go home to their families at the end of every day, injury free. We have a number of programs that help us keep safety top of mind at Cenovus.
In 2015, we:
- Achieved our strongest year ever for safety performance, with a 40 percent improvement over 2014
- Increased our focus on significant incidents by analyzing the root cause of incidents and near misses that had the potential to cause life-altering injuries. By taking corrective actions and sharing learnings from these types of incidents, we were able to improve key processes and reduce the number of significant incidents from 43 in 2014 to 37 in 2015.
- Continued to conduct campaigns throughout the year to keep safety top of mind including our Start Safe, Restart and Winter Work campaigns
- Celebrated safety milestones across our operations, including:
- one year without a recordable injury at our field accommodations
- a zero-injury frequency by our southern Alberta teams