The work performed in our business involves risk. That's why it's critical that we keep safety as a first thought in everything we do. The actions we take and the decisions we make every day help us to manage risk and protect our people. We want our workers to go home to their families at the end of every day, injury free. We have a number of programs that help us keep safety top of mind at Cenovus.
In 2016, we:
- Won an Association of American Railroads Grand Slam Award for rail safety as a result of safety performance at our Bruderheim Energy Terminal and the strong partnerships we’ve built with other loading terminals that distribute our products
- Continued to conduct campaigns throughout the year to keep safety top of mind including our Start Safe and Winter Work campaigns
- Recognized 41 contractors for their safety performance as part of our Health & Safety Stewardship Awards Program
- Celebrated health and safety milestones across our operations:
- we reached 50 days without a recordable injury company-wide for the first time in Cenovus’s history
- employees at our Weyburn operations surpassed 25 years without a lost-time incident
- our Foster Creek and Christina Lake Site Operations teams had their best safety performance since our inception with a Total recordable injury frequency (TRIF) of 0.16
- our Foster Creek and Christina Lake Maintenance teams surpassed 1,000 days without a recordable injury
- our Foster Creek Ready For Operations team surpassed 1,000 days without a recordable injury
- our Borger and Wood River refineries, joint ventures with Phillips 66, the operator, had a total recordable injury rate of 0.13 (called injury frequency in Canada). This is the best safety performance in the history of our refinery partnership.